QualityRoms
08-25-16, 12:56 am 0 users browsing News and Anouncements. | 1 guest
Forum » News and Anouncements » QualityRoms is no more 
Pages: 1
Posted on 08-23-15, 03:48 am
QualityRoms was started in 2011 as an excuse to have a forum. Not having any ideas for a real website, I fell back on the "Write what you know" mantra. I liked playing video games, and I knew a bit about ROMs, so I thought, "Eh, might as well." I based the idea on Arch Nacho and Tortilla Godzilla's Quality ROMs, and stole their name and idea about writing sarcastic reviews of all the games we featured. Little did I know, I would also steal their idea of never updating.

I was really stupid when the site started. Aside from making a site about ROMs (It's illegal and also who cares?) I never marked any dates or anything. That kind of makes sense, though. We had a pretty soft launch, starting with a phpBB based forum before the site even went up. It was only once I had a (semi) functional site that I found and installed ABXD. My original forum account was registered on 2nd March, 2012, so I sort of use that as QualityRoms' birthday, though I think it wasn't until April that I had anything worth looking at.

Things were pretty good during that first year. We quickly shot up as many of our friends joined the forum and provided input into the site. In fact, at one point, the forum was so well manned that many of us were frequently have 60+ posts per day! I had to edit our syndromes since they didn't go that high!

But eventually the activity faded. I never uploaded ROMs with the speed I had dreamed of, and without new content, the site began to wither. The forum was mostly my friends, and we all had jobs, some of us had families, and the few who were young enough for forums soon left to fresher pastures, where people posted all day and the tone was less cynical. Users came and went in waves, and even though there were months with fewer than five posts, there would still be occasional bouts of activity as someone remembered the place. QualityRoms seemed to be doing just fine.

Through all of this, I still felt kind of foolish for opening a ROM site. I could never shake the feeling of "What's the point?" On 20th August, 2015, I decided to pull the plug, and did the actual deed on 22nd August at 10:46 PM. What will we do now? Who knows. But what's important is that QualityRoms, as a site, is gone. Thank you all for these last three years, and for believing in my small little corner of the Internet.

I'll keep the domain, simply because I don't want any domain squatters to grab it, and for those of you who are hosted (Retro of the Week), you need not worry, I'll be keeping the hosting, since it's relatively cheap. The forum will stick around for now, since I wouldn't know what to do with my time if I weren't foiling spam bots, but there will be no site.
Delcatty Delcatty
Statistically IncorrectChakotay is my homeboy
Affected by 'Why not Zoidberg' Syndrome

Since: 03-03-12

Last post: 57 days
Last view: 4 days
Posted on 08-23-15, 06:09 pm

Visit Retro of the week
Lantern Ghost Lantern Ghost
QR's favorite basement dwelling neckbeard.

Since: 04-01-12

Last post: 347 days
Last view: 69 days
Posted on 08-24-15, 01:15 pm (rev. 3 by Luigi442wii on 08-25-15, 11:09 am)
[Invalid youtube video ID]

and also:

It's over... goodbye...
And you forgot to mention how I abused this site by making four other accounts.

Since: 05-03-14

Last post: 361 days
Last view: 359 days
Posted on 08-25-15, 11:55 pm
You're pretty insignificant even in the short history of QualityRoms.
Delcatty Delcatty

Posted on 08-28-15, 02:56 pm
Posted by Lazlo
You're pretty insignificant even in the short history of QualityRoms.

True, but I caused a quite mess. It is not good for the board to be tricked like this.
Which is why, I said 'I'm leaving' and never did, something exists in the board which is good.

But I don't know what.

Oh, and what do we call the board still QualityROMs, it doesn't make enough sense unfortunately, for now.

Since: 05-03-14

Last post: 361 days
Last view: 359 days
Posted on 08-29-15, 02:29 am
It's still QualityRoms.net
Delcatty Delcatty

Posted on 08-29-15, 06:32 am
QualityQuality.quality
Visit Retro of the week
Lantern Ghost Lantern Ghost
QR's favorite basement dwelling neckbeard.

Since: 04-01-12

Last post: 347 days
Last view: 69 days
Posted on 08-29-15, 08:31 pm

*plays macho man's theme song*

Oddish Oddish
warriors... come out to play-eee-ay

Since: 06-08-12

Last post: 91 days
Last view: 9 days